The Houston Texas Temple

October 24, 2009

Camping on the Mogollon Rim - July 09

["moe-ge-on"] rim at Bear Canyon Lake.

This is the baby hornet toad Dale found and knew i would go gaga over. I let Gavin hold it, and Aunt Jessie said "ooh that's Gross", so when I asked Gavin what his name should be, he said "Grossy". So this is Grossy, who I loved and petted and sat on my chest for a good hour before Dale said I was not aloud to keep him, he was a wild animal, and he made me put him back.

I was the fun Mule, like at the Grand Canyon, for Gavin the first part of our hike down to the lake. Its always nice when your kids think you're the fun one every once in a while.

I told Dale he needed to get closer to the tree and actually touch it for the picture... This was his idea of being obedient.
Where we decided to stop and rest before turning back on the hike was in a big open meadow with tall grass, lots of flowers and butterflies. I got lots of pictures of him just running free, exploring, and being in that wonderland of childhood I remember so well.
We stopped to actually enjoy the water in the lake. Dale and his brother swam, but we were happy on our little bank (trying to keep enough space from our toes and the crawfish). Gavin was good at warning me "Eewh, Mud Bug!". We happened to find a kids bobber and some fishing line in the water, so this is Gavin's fishing pole that he thoroughly enjoyed.

2 comments:

Julie said...

Looks like y'all had some fun this summer! Love all the pictures. Gavan is really such a cute boy. And you are the cute mom we all try to be like.

Lewis Family said...

COOL TOAD!